Get help: Low Income Household Water Assistance Program now until September 30, 2022
For a limited time, a new Federal utility assistance program will be available to help customers with water and sewer bill payments.
The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP), which will begin on January 18, 2022 and end on September 30, 2022, will help Northeast Ohioans at or below 175% of the federal poverty guidelines pay their water and wastewater bills. See the chart below to see if your household qualifies.
CHN Housing Partners will administer the program for NEORSD customers. The full press release is available on CHN Housing Partners’ website.
Here’s how to apply:
1. Gather your documents.
The program requires several forms of verification. Take time to make sure you have everything you need:
- Copies of their most recent water and sewer bills
- Photo identification
- Social Security cards for each household member
- Proof of U.S Citizenship or legal residency for each household member
- Income verification for the past 30 days or 12 months for each household member over the age of eighteen
- Proof of disability (if applicable)
2. Make an appointment and provide copies of your documents.
Applicants will be interviewed by phone or virtually to review Cuyahoga County residents can call (216) 350-8008 to make an appointment, or they can schedule an appointment online at www.chn.itfrontdesk.com. To avoid delays, please provide a working phone number where you can best be reached. Applicants will be provided an LIHWAP application upon making an appointment, and must provide all required application documents no less than three days prior to the date of their appointment. If documents are not provided or incomplete, they may be asked to reschedule.
If you can’t use the online system to submit your application documents, you may submit them in one of the following ways:
- CHN Main Drop Box : 2999 Payne Ave, 1st Floor, Cleveland, OH 44114 (Please do not drop off your originals)
- Fax: (216) 912-0700 (Clear legible pictures from a smartphone/tablet will be accepted)
For more information about the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP), contact CHN Housing Partners at 216-325-1148. To be connected to a local Energy Assistance provider call (800) 282-0880 (hearing impaired clients may dial 711 for assistance) or visit www.energyhelp.ohio.gov.